Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hungover

Columbia was interesting to say to least. There are two "hotspots" downtown: The Vista and Five Points. We ended up going to Five Points and staying at The Clarion. Lots of decent pubs and bars around, but the ratio was really bad. I think it was something like 3 to 4 guys for every girl out. Supposedly, it gets better once the semester starts. Then all the USC students come out to play. Anyway, one of our buddies got really drunk and belligerent, so we had to babysit him and literally drag/carry him back. We tried to get him to crash in our hotel room but he kept refusing, so we ended up getting a cab and taking him all the way back to McCrady. Cost us 90 bucks to make sure he made it back safely. He almost went to jail a few times too. If it weren't for the 3 of us supporting him down the street and trying to keep him calm, the cops said that they would have taken him in. Needless to say, I'm glad we made it back and there weren't any major issues. Well, I'm gonna nurse my headache and just chill out on my bunk.

*Edit*

Oh, I remembered an incident that I definitely don't want to forget, so I figured I'd stick it in here. I think around midnight-ish, we went to a place called Sharkey's (or maybe it was next door). A group of us ran into two Marine officers (0302s to boot) and I remember there being much revelry and rounds of shots being purchased. Later, a buddy of ours, named Wes (who happened to be drunk out of his mind), was suckered into playing of game of pool by some punk-ass college kids. Wes, who happened to be an overly friendly drunk, agreed to play against these kids, with the terms stating that the loser had to buy the winner drinks. The punk college kid quickly got up to break but scratched on the break, which resulted in an immediate and somewhat ironic victory for our beloved drunk friend. The college kid quickly started to reason that it was unfair and unlucky for him to lose in such a fashion and proceeded to restart the game. Our other friend, James, who happened to be Wes' partner stated that Wes won the game fair and square and the college punk owed him a round. The college kid failed to produce said round and I believe that he was prepared to engage in fisticuffs to resolve this matter. However, James started to get up in his face and started yelling obscenities rather loudly and obnoxiously. The college kid put up a front, but as James stated, "I've never seen such a tough guy talk so much shit and back up at the same time." Then the Marine officers jumped in and pulled James off the college punk bitch and calmed him down. James later told me that the college kids gathered a bunch of their faggot ass friends and waited outside the bar so that they could jump us. Luckily, we stayed for a fairly long time and only had to deal with our belligerent, drunk colleague (I guess the college kids got a bit cold waiting outside in 10 degree weather). To the Marine officers: I don't remember your names nor where you were stationed, but thanks for having our backs.

No comments:

Post a Comment