Saturday, January 23, 2010

I finally like something about my phone

I didn't update for a couple days because I didn't really have reliable wifi on Fort Sam Houston, that is, until now. I finally figured out how to use my phone as a broadband modem through bluetooth. Now, I can use my laptop and phone to surf the net again. Anyhoo, we went through a few days of CMAST this past week (Combat Medic Advanced Skills Training) and now we are ready to do the NREMT-B refresher now. Word is that we will get our orders sometime soon. A request for our next set of orders has been put in, so all we have to do now is navigate the MOS refresher and, of course, hurry up and wait. It's kind of strange, being back in a training environment, surrounded by privates. It's sad to see how relaxed and undisciplined privates are nowadays. So much has changed in the past few years. For example, they moved out all of the drill sergeants and replaced them with regular NCO cadre. Also, the training environment is definitely more low-stress than when I went through. I just hope that they get adequate training for the field. I think that I'm going to go on a beer run or something soon. Getting a little bored. Half of the guys here flew their wives/family/girlfriends into town for the weekend. I'm pretty much stuck here with 2-3 other guys who don't have anything else to do. I'm gonna see if they want to go downtown or something later. Maybe I'll watch a movie now.

*Edit*

I totally forgot to mention a really cool training room. There's a room called the blood lab, and they call it that because it is full of interactive dummies that are part of a simulated mass casualty scenario. These dummies can talk, scream, simulate breathing, actively bleed, and they gather data (such as interventions performed, time of treatment, etc). Also, there are operators who record everything on camera, and I do mean EVERYTHING. The blood lab hasn't changed much since the first time I went through it in 2005, but I remember it being more intense the first time through. For example, in '05, it was a lot darker, more gory, and hectic (instructors yelled at you and there was simulated chaos complete with gunfire, ambient battlefield noise, and music from Blackhawk Down on loop). It was very good hands on training, to say the least. I also feel compelled to mention how far battlefield trauma medicine has come along. In a few short years, such innovations as the CAT (Combat Application Tourniquet) surfaced and made our jobs as medics all that much easier and made our inventions and treatments much more effective. We are able to treat combat casualties much more quickly and effectively than before. This makes me happy and confident in my skills, as well as the Army's ability to supply us with what we need (when it truly matters, I guess).

2 comments:

  1. So is your MOS a medic or is that what your being reclassed to? I'm wondering what the heck ill be doing since my MOS is being phased out of the Army.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a medic. If there was any possibility of re-class, I wouldn't have reported for duty.

    ReplyDelete